When we ask people “What is the purpose of your life”, most of them are not able to answer this question.
If we ask anyone about the purpose of eating or why do we eat, everyone will say nutrition is required to sustain life.
Similarly, if we ask why they work, their answer usually will be that they need to support themselves and their families.
On asking people why they bath, why they sleep, why they dress up, etc., they will come up with appropriate answers, for these are common basic necessities for all human beings.
Following this line of questioning with a many such questions and we will receive the same or similar answers from different people.
Different perspectives about the Meaning and Purpose of Life
When we ask the question, “What is the purpose of life?” we get many different answers because people are puzzled; they don’t really know. They are stumbling in the dark, they have vague ideas like accumulating wealth, building a lot of assets, doing things they like to do and enjoying financial freedom.
Is our purpose in this world simply to eat, sleep, dress up, work, possess some material things and enjoy ourselves? Is this really our purpose?
Just ponder over the following:
- Why are we born?
- Where did we come from?
- What is the object of our existence?
- Where are we going?
Think deeply about these profound questions.
The quest to understand the meaning of life has haunted humanity since the dawn of existence. What is my purpose in life is a question asked by many people as they ponder the reasons for their existence. Life is the expression of the ‘Reason for Being’. The ‘Reason’ represents the intelligence that is within all things. For example, when a seed is planted, it is the power within the seed which grows systematically for the fulfilment of its reason for being.
Some people may think that to find the meaning and purpose of life isn’t all that easy.
Everything in the universe has a purpose.
Questions about the meaning and purpose of life have been expressed in many ways such as:
- What is the meaning of life?
- What life is all about?
- Who are we?
- What is the purpose of our existence?
- What is the nature of life? What is life all about?
- What is the reason to live? What are we living for?
Many answers and various approaches from numerous sources
The question relating to of the purpose and meaning of life is the most fundamental of all questions of human existence. Answers to such questions come in many varieties.
These questions have resulted in a wide range of answers and arguments, from scientific theories, to philosophical explanations to spiritual concepts. There have been a large number of proposed answers to these questions from many different cultural and ideological backgrounds.
Modern history alone has attempted a number of answers, including the ones from people like Steve Jobs, Stanely Kubrick, Helen Keller, Robert F. Kennedy, Joseph Campbell, Carl Jung and Mahatma Gandhi etc.
Aristotle said that happiness is the meaning, the purpose and the whole aim of life.
Eleanor Roosevelt said that purpose of life is to live it and to experience it to the utmost.
Robert F. Kennedy said the purpose of life is to contribute in some way or the other to making things better.
According to Helen Keller true happiness is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
As per Joseph Campbell life has no meaning, each of us brings to our life our own meaning.
A crux of all the views about the Meaning and Purpose of Life
There are lots of questions and answers. But is there an easy answer?
Here is a distilled selection of lot of popular views. This is at the core of the views of eminent thinkers from different walks of life and from different countries, and some spiritual schools about the meaning and purpose of life.
The purpose of life is to:
- Realize one’s potential and ideals
- Chase dreams. To live one’s dreams.
- Expand one’s potential in life.
- Be a true authentic human being.
- Achieve a flourishing of human spirit.
- Find meaning or purpose of life
- Find a reason to live.
- Help others out of love and compassion, and contribute to their well-being. To take every chance to help another while on your journey here.
Now think and understand what the purpose of your life is.
Life is a constant process of trying to understand yourself and the universe. Evolve yourself and don’t get entangled too much in chasing the worldly, materialistic pleasures. Connect yourself to the highest through love and devotion. Contentment and bliss will follow.
Author: Indu Wadwha
You may also like:
- Relationship of Science and Spirituality
- Turn to GOD if you are feeling helpless and hopeless
- How to Manage Stress – Helpful Quotes
- How to make your LIFE HAPPY? – Top Best Quotes
- Affirmations for Healing & Health
Latest posts by Sundeep Kataria (see all)
- Predictions for 2019 and 2020 by Psychics and Clairvoyants - October 17, 2018
- Reasons Why It Is Better To Cut Ties With Toxic Family Members and Friends - October 1, 2018
- 5 Reasons Why Online Shopping Makes Shopping Easier and Life Better - August 2, 2018